The following list of individuals and sources of information shouldn’t know more about Selling a Lake Charles Home than your trusted REALTOR®:
- The national media. They don’t know our local market. They care about New York, Vegas, California, etc. and don’t have a clue about Southwest Louisiana. When you hear quotes of foreclosures and declining markets that does not mean the real estate market here in Lake Charles is in the dumps.
- The local media. Honestly, they don’t know much about the local real estate market either. The local news reporter is just going to call our local Board of Realtors and get a list of stats or maybe an interview with the Board President who will quote stats. Will you as a consumer be able to accurately interpret those real estate trends and stats and compare the South Lake Charles Market to Moss Bluff, Westlake, Sulphur or other areas?
- Your neighbor. The “Average Joe” may know a LOT but what he probably is not informed on is the latest “local neighborhood” real estate trends. You and Joe both may know what the new neighbor purchased their home for but can you evaluate why one home got $250,000 and another got $200,000 when they look the same on the outside! That’s just one more reason why you need a REALTOR®.
- Your co-worker. There will always be someone who shares what a great deal they got or how much profit they made. Friends and family will tell you its easy to sell a house on your own without the help of a Realtor. They mean well, but the real estate market changes FAST and after Hurricane Rita we experienced a peak in real estate in Southwest Louisiana. New construction and short sales come into play and I doubt your co-worker is tracking the latest solds from the MLS.
- Your mom and dad. Although our parents are very wise and they have your best interest at heart,they aren’t current and well versed in our local real estate market. How long has it been since Mom and Dad bought or sold a home? What they think a home may be worth could be very different when a market analysis is researched.
- An agent in another state who may be a family member or friend. Like I mentioned, real estate changes A LOT, and it’s LOCAL. A Realtor in Texas or Oklahoma might not be able to give you the best advice on what’s happening in Southwest Louisiana.
If you are thinking of Selling Your Lake Charles Home For Sale by Owner, will you be familiar with the process that will be required to close the sale and meet ALL the criteria for the buyer’s loan?
The method most used to sell a home has changed in recent years. Realtor.com reports that a higher share of sellers are relying on the expertise of real estate agents and brokers to sell their home, rather than trying other methods.
- From 1991 to 2011 the share of home sellers who used a real estate agent or broker to sell their home increased from 77 percent to 87 percent.
A Realtor.com study showed that sellers use real estate professionals to help them sell their home in a reasonable timeframe, to market their home to potential buyers, and to price the home competitively.
Pricing is not what you think your home is worth, it is all about what a buyer is willing to pay or fair market value. We are experiencing many appraisal issues with Lake Charles Real Estate. The mistake that I see all to often with For Sale By Owners is the home is not priced to sell and if their home does go under contract, the seller is then surprised when the house does not appraise. Pricing is key when it comes to selling your Lake Charles Home.
The facts speak for themselves. The market is just too uncertain and changing too fast for most Lake Charles home sellers to follow. It is imperative that homes are priced correctly from the very start to keep up and/or ahead of market trends.
As a successful Lake Charles REALTOR®, I follow OUR Southwest Louisiana local markets and real estate trends. I have successfully helped people buy and sell Lake Charles homes. So if you’re thinking of buying or selling in Southwest Louisiana and the Lake Charles area I would appreciate the opportunity to help you and look forward to your call!
Copyright 2011© Marilyn Boudreaux
Marilyn Boudreaux, REALTOR® 337-499-9592
Century 21 Mike D. Bono & Co.’s
4410 Nelson Road
Lake Charles, LA USA 70605