Louisiana is celebrating the Bicentennial of our statehood this year in 2012. The Louisiana Bicentennial Commission has shared “200 Free Things to Do” and listed below are highlights of things to do in Southwest Louisiana. For the complete list, go to the Louisiana Bicentennial Commission website — www.louisianabicentennial2012.com.
- Admire the Sallier Oak Tree. The 375-year-old tree at the Imperial Calcasieu Museum has withstood many hurricanes and is a sought-after spot for the avid photographer.
- Step back in time through a traditional Southern neighborhood. Explore the more than 40 blocks of Victorian homes and massive mansions in the Charpentier Historic District in downtown Lake Charles.
- Peek on into the Cottage Shops in midtown Lake Charles. These unique locally owned boutique shops are set in old cottage homes.
- Visit the Lakefront Promenade behind the Civic Center. Walk the cobblestone pathway along the lake and view the cityscape of Lake Charles.
- Picnic at Prien Lake Park. This 29-acre park features walking paths, canoe and boat launches, a children’s playground and an interactive fountain.
- Have fun in the sun at the “Brown Sugar” beaches. Fishing, shelling, birding, crabbing and relaxing can be accomplishment along the 26-mile stretch of Gulf of Mexico beaches.
- Visit the 180 mile-long Creole Nature Trail . Lush marsh, wildlife and 400 species of birds for those avid birders, you even might spot an alligator.
- 1911 Historic City Hall Arts & Cultural Center houses world class exhibits. Gallery admission is Free.
- Hop a train at the DeQuincy Railroad Museum. It offers family-friendly fun with a steam engine, passenger car and caboose on display and library located upstairs.
This is just glimpse of a few of the FREE things to do in Southwest Louisiana. For more on local attractions, events and festivals be sure to go online to www.visitlakecharles.org. Be sure and subscribe to my Blog where I also highlight upcoming Community events!
Marilyn Boudreaux is a Full Time Licensed REALTOR in the State of Louisiana affiliated with Century 21 Mike D. Bono & Co.’s.
Copyright 2012© Marilyn Boudreaux
Marilyn Boudreaux, REALTOR® 337-499-9592
Century 21 Mike D. Bono & Co.’s
4410 Nelson Road
Lake Charles, LA USA 70605