The City of Lake Charles Community Development has a Grant Program that will assist qualifying Lake Charles home buyers with down payment assistance and closing cost assistance.
The objective of the Lake Charles City Grant is to provide home ownership opportunities for low and moderate income families. Families may not always be able to save money needed for a down payment of a home and closing costs
There are certain requirements that must be met in order to be approved for this Lake Charles City Grant
- Assistance is $10,000 for down payment and closing costs
- First time home buyer with no home ownership within the past three years
- Home Purchases only
- Owner occupied primary residences only no investment property
- Home buyer education required**
- Applicants must have good credit and be able to qualify and be approved for a mortgage
- Property being purchased must be in the City Limits of Lake Charles, LA
- Total household income must not exceed 80% of the median income for the area adjusted for family size (see below)
Calcasieu Parish: 1= $29,000; 2 = $33,850; 3= $38,052; 4= $42,300; 5= $45,700; 6= 49,050
If a Lake Charles HomeBuyer is applying for the City Grant, they must contact the Lake Charles Community Development Division or pick up an application package at Lake Charles City Hall.
INSPECTION OF THE PROPERTY
- Contracts are subject to Property Condition Addendum….the City will require an inspection of all major systems including electrical, plumbing, roof, foundation and gas lines. The Housing Rehab Inspectior for Community Development will inspect the residence and determine the scope of work required to meet City Code Standards.
- The loan appraisal fee is a reimbursable item
Once all the documentation has been submitted and the purchaser is approved the $10,000 check is sent to the closing agent.
At the time of closing the home buyer will complete Restrictive Coventants by the City of Lake Charles. The Restrictive Covenats are recorded and filed and state:
- Homebuyer agrees that the residence will be primary for the duration of 5 years
- The homebuyer must keep the property insured
- Homebuyer agrees if the restrictions are violated the City of Lake Charles is entitled to recapture the grant investment
- When the property is sold and net proceeds are sufficient to repay the grant investment the full amount will be recaptured and the homebuyer will be provided with a fair return on his or her investment.
- To insure the ability to repay the grant upon violation the homebuyer must preserve and maintain the property in good or better condition at existed at original purchase.
If you think you may qualify for a City Grant refer to the income limits above and ask your local lender if you qualify for the Lake Charles City Grant or contact Jacqueline Banks the Lake Charles City Program Specialist 337-491-1440
Copyright 2012© Marilyn Boudreaux
Marilyn Boudreaux, REALTOR® 337-499-9592
Century 21 Mike D. Bono & Co.’s
4410 Nelson Road
Lake Charles, LA USA 70605