Just like making the decision to sign listing papers or stage a home, Sellers can do some other simple things that can make the whole selling process go so much more smoothly. A Home Inspector shared this simple list with me of items that will be checked in a home inspection.
Save yourself inspection headaches and get a jump on these items. If you’re not comfortable doing something, you may want to hire a professional to do it.
Tips For Home Sellers: Getting Ready For Home Inspection
- Make sure all interior and exterior light fixtures work.
- Provide access to the furnace, water heater and electric panel.
- Install a new furnace filter. It will be looked at during the inspection and be considered as part of the overall condition of the furnace or the heat pump.
- Ensure all windows operate smoothly. If some are stuck or painted shut, the impression will be that many windows cannot open.
- Replace all damaged window screens.
- Tighten all doorknobs and tighten or repair all handrails, also check to be sure all interior doors will latch to the strike plate.
- Make sure the attic is accessible, the inspector will enter the attic
- Be sure that there is a minimum of one smoke detector per floor and that it is in proper working condition
- Divert all water away from the house, i.e. down spouts, sump pump, condensation drain, etc.
- Remove grade or mulch from contact with siding, preferably 6 or more inches of clearance.
- Proper grading recommended at the house including under decks/porches. Grade should slope away from structure.
- Remove rotting wood/firewood from contact with the house.
- Clean out dirty gutters or debris from the roof.
- Make sure all plumbing fixtures are in proper working order with no leaks.
- Check that toilets are secure to the floor.
- Check that bath vents are properly vented to the outside.
- Install GFCI receptacles near all water sources; check present GFCI receptacles for proper operation.
- Remove paint, solvents, gas, etc. from crawlspace, basement, attic, porch, etc.
- If the house is vacant make sure all utilities are turned on.
HOME MAINTENANCE CHECKLIST
- _____Does the doorbell work? Is it loose?
- _____From the ground, look at your roof for missing shingles.
- _____From the ground, look at your chimney. Does it have a rain cap and spark arrestors on it?
- _____Are the gutters and downspouts loose, damaged, or clogged?
- _____Are ventilation screens at the attic gable and soffit vents in place and undamaged?
- _____Does water pond near the foundation after running the landscape irrigation or after it rains?
- _____Are there any cracks in the foundation walls?
- _____Can you see evidence anywhere of termites, wasps, spiders, or bird nests?
- _____Does any exposed wood need painting?
- _____Is there any wood in direct contact with soil, including fences and gates?
- _____Are there any wires (electric, cable, phone) hanging loose on the exterior siding?
- _____Are there any holes or other damage to siding, doors, and windows?
- _____Are any fence sections leaning, missing, or damaged?
- _____Do gates open and close without scraping the structure or the ground?
- _____Are exterior outlets protected from weather and not in permanent use for landscape lighting or irrigation controls?
- _____Are retaining walls cracked or leaning?
- _____Is vegetation overgrown, especially in walkways; growing on siding, roof, chimney, fences, or in gutters; or too close to utility lines?
- _____Are there trip hazards in walkways, driveways, and stairways from deterioration, damage, or storage?
- _____Are guardrails and handrails loose or damaged at stairways, decks, balconies, and porches.
- _____Does the landscape lighting work?
- _____Does the irrigation system work without spraying on fences or buildings?
- _____Is the pool and spa in good condition and does the equipment work?
- _____Do ponds, fountains, and waterfalls work properly?
- _____Are ponds, fountains, and waterfalls protected from children?
- _____Are the towel holders and bathroom tissue holders damaged or missing?
- _____Are bathtubs, showers, and shower doors damaged?
- _____Are floor-to-ceiling windows and glass doors and walls tempered, including shower doors (look for safety seal in one of the corners)?
- _____Do carbon monoxide detectors work?
- _____Do smoke alarms work, and are they are present on each floor of multi-story houses and in each bedroom?
- _____Are kitchen and bathroom countertops loose?
- _____Do doors (including closet doors and cabinet doors), drawers, and windows work?
- _____Is there missing, loose, or damaged hardware on doors (including closet doors and cabinet doors), drawers (stops and guides), and windows.
- _____Are glass panes loose or cracked in windows and doors?
- _____Do latches/locks work on doors (including closet doors and cabinet doors), drawers, and windows?
- _____Are screen windows damaged?
- _____Is there excessive storage in closets, attic, or garage?
- _____Are there any holes or other damage to walls and ceilings?
- _____Are there any unexplained moisture stains on ceilings and walls; around doors and windows; near sinks, toilets, bathtubs, and showers; and near the dishwasher?
- _____Are guardrails and handrails in stairways loose, missing, or damaged?
- _____Are baseboards and door and window moldings loose, damaged, or missing?
- _____Are any tiles (floor, walls, and countertops) loose or damaged?
- _____Doo all kitchen appliances work?
- _____Is there an anti-tip device on the stove?
- _____Are filters in place and clean (kitchen range hood, heating/cooling, bathroom fans, etc.)?
- _____Is there soot, cobwebs, or wildlife in the fireplace and lower areas of the chimney?
- _____Does the fireplace damper open and close easily?
- _____Do you have any manufacturer installation guides, user guides to provide to your buyer?
- _____Do you have any architectural drawings for renovations to provide to your buyer?
- _____Do you have any receipts or warranty papers for any work done on the property, particularly for inspections and work done to prepare the property for sale?
- _____Do all the stoppers work in bathtubs and sinks?
- _____Are any drains clogged or abnormally slow?
- _____Are any toilet seats loose or damaged?
- _____Are faucets dripping or leaking around the base?
- _____Do your faucet handles have a stop action on them?
- _____Are any hot and cold water pipes reversed at sinks, bathtubs, or showers? (Cold on the right, hot on the left!)
- _____Is the caulk or grout in sinks, bathtubs, and showers all black and cracked?
- _____Do you have safe and easy access to water shutoff valves (street curb, water heater, sinks, toilets, etc.).
- _____Do you have safe and easy access to gas shutoff valves (meter, furnace, water heater, etc.).
- _____Are toilets loose at the floor?
- _____Are toilet tanks loose?
- _____Do you have safe and easy access to electric panels?
- _____Do ceiling fans work on all speeds?
- _____Do ceiling fans wobble or make weird noises?
- _____Are all light bulbs working?
- _____Do you have any damaged or loose outlets or light switches, including covers for outlets and switches?
- _____Do you have a lot of extension cords and outlet multipliers?
- _____Do all outlets work?
- _____Do you have outdated two-prong outlets?
- _____Do you have GFCI outlets in the kitchen, bathrooms, garage, and exterior?
- _____Do exhaust fans work in kitchen, bathrooms, and laundry area?
- _____Do all electrical junction boxes have covers?
Copyright 2012© Marilyn Boudreaux
Marilyn Boudreaux, REALTOR® 337-499-9592
Century 21 Mike D. Bono & Co.’s
4410 Nelson Road
Lake Charles, LA USA 70605